Monday, March 8, 2010

What I learned about hair care

I have never kept long hair when I was young. However, I was always fascinated by hair, in some strange and unique way. Sometimes, I was walking around in the mall with my family and I would then notice someone's beautiful long hair, put up in a unique updo, and then I would stare at it. I secretly yearned to keep my hair long instead of the "matter-of-fact" bob that I have kept for more than a decade. And finally, when I turned 15, I kept my hair long without having to leave it as long as possible before my mum has to cut it and then I would have to protest that long hair seems nice.

Since a lack of "role models" has caused me to be quite awkward to the business of making myself look beautiful, I had to turn to online resources. My mum always kept her hair short, my sister was a bit of a tom-boy, so I had to be quite independent in these stuff. Every morning, before I go to school, I would tie my hair in hairstyles that I have created my own, or braid one day, then ponytail one day. Although it is quite unnoticeable for those lacking in observation skills, my mum can't help but noticed it. So, she had nothing to say about me keeping long hair, since she doesn't have to worry about it.

Although I loved my long hair, and the opportunity to have fun with hairstyling, I have to confess I don't inherit the greatest gene pool of all time. My father's line is "blessed" with gray hair, kinda a signature symbol of me differentiating my maternal with my paternal family. So, my gray hair naturally shows now cos I'm having long hair. And classmates were all pointing out that I have LOTS of them.

I finally got the hold of a good hair care routine this year. I learned that shampooing my hair too often is not a good thing. Although I did that because I go to the gym every weekday, but now I have developed a good habit of not shampooing it.

So, here is my hair care routine. I hope you can learn a little something from it.

Sunday- Massage with coconut oil( only on the scalp and ends of hair, preferably at night before sleep), shampoo hair, condition hair
Monday- Rinse away coconut oil (in the morning), rinse hair, leave-in-condition hair
Tuesday- Shampoo hair, condition hair

...Then just alternate the routine everyday for one week.

And another tip:
Never sleep with your hair on a cotton pillow case, it leaves your hair dry and tangled. Try using a silk pillow case, or tie your hair up into a braid before you sleep.

Since I tried this routine for at least 3 months now, I can be quite certain that it can work for you too!

No comments: