Sunday, February 28, 2010

Extraordinary stories of ordinary people

There is always a story behind a person. Whether it is without drama, or just like any predictable story of a good girl or boy, it is always worth knowing. To me, listening to others talk about their story or their past experiences have a very weird and therapeutic effect, as if their happiness and joy can fill into my loneliness, and make me feel better.

If you watch American Idol, then you will know what I'm talking about. Potential winners of the show are always backed with interesting stories, whether it is a fight to be forever free from poverty, drugs or family problems, or a fight for life. These stories are somehow manipulated to draw in the sentiments of the audiences, and therefore make the potential "idol" become somehow worthy of being an "idol".

Sometimes, I use my leisure time to watch interviews about successful artists, entrepreneurs or celebrities, for example Donald Trump and Bill Gates( above). It's not that I'm really concern and have a thing about their personal life, but I just find it fascination that everyone has a different way of interpreting the things that happened in their life. Some may take an accident in childhood as a blessing or a sign of destiny, while some may take the road onto faith and sense of purpose. Whatever it is, I feel like I can learn from what they have experienced, and apply it into my life. Somehow, I feel connected to them in every level, because there are just so many "universal" things that we have in common.

Have you ever wondered how a person became who they are today? The path they took, and the story behind it? Well, I have always wondered. And it seems to me like it is much more important to be able to know what they sacrificed and did to get there, than what the papparazzi are concerned about. And it also seems much fairer if I just listen to them speak as a person, and appreciate their personalities, instead of looking at what they achieved and what they did wrong, because everyone is not perfect. In my opinion, if someone succeeded in something, they must have done something really special to get there. And that is what I'm interested about!

No comments: